When healthcare services are provided in the home, it creates another opportunity for abuse of the system.
People who qualify for home health services deserve properly credentialed, licensed caregivers who show up and perform useful services. Unfortunately, that is not always the case. Home health companies have defrauded the Government—and hurt patients—in the past through schemes like these:
- Hiring unqualified workers
- Failing to monitor whether visits are taking place
- Failing to provide needed services during visits
- Billing separately for items or services that should be provided as part of the regular fee
- Lying about patient eligibility, as also can occur in hospice fraud
- Changing diagnoses to keep a patient enrolled
- Falsifying documentation on medical records
- All sorts of billing fraud, as common in any healthcare setting
If you have information about one of these schemes, give us a call at Bothwell Law Group and let us help you assess how to do the right thing and protect the patients and the Government’s money.