The mission of the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) is to “create strong, sustainable, inclusive communities and quality affordable homes for all. HUD is working to strengthen the housing market to bolster the economy and protect consumers; meet the need for quality affordable rental homes; utilize housing as a platform for improving quality of life; build inclusive and sustainable communities free from discrimination, and transform the way HUD does business.” Each of these ideals affords crooks opportunities to defraud the Government.
Possible examples of HUD fraud include:
- Fraudulent origination or underwriting of FHA loans
- False statements regarding the value of property for FHA loans
- False claims submitted under FHA insurance
- Violations of HUD guidelines
- Providing Section 8 housing to individuals who do not qualify
- Providing Section 8 housing that does not meet HUD quality standards
If you have questions about a HUD contract or housing choice vouchers, please contact our firm to discuss the legality of the arrangement and whether you have a potential False Claims Act case.